Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ho-Ho Cake

This recipe is hardcore, most of your pots and pans and measuring utensils will be dirty by the time you are finished. You most likely will be sweaty, too (or maybe that’s just me). You must be a committed chocoholic. You must be vigilant.

Are you still with me? Good. Let’s get to it.

Cake:
Make a Duncan Hines Devils Food Chocolate Cake mix according to directions for a 9 x 13 inch pan. Grease the pan really well, especially in the corners. When you think you have greased the pan enough, grease it again. Trust me.

After the cake is done, let it sit and cool for about ten minutes and then turn the cake out. Before I turn the cake out, I run a butter knife along the edges to make sure it’s not sticking to the pan. Cool the cake completely. I usually make the cake the night before.

Filling:
In a small saucepan, heat 1 and ¼ cup of milk, gradually stir in 5 tablespoons of flour. Continue to stir over medium high heat until the mixture is thick and smooth. Take it off the heat and let the mixture cool completely.
With a mixer, beat:
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 cup of Crisco shortening
1 cup of sugar
Cooled milk mixture
You’ll know when it’s done; it will have the consistency of a Ho-Ho filling.

Fudge Icing:
4 ½ cups of powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa
½ cup milk – maybe a little more
1 and ½ sticks of BUTTER – not margarine (I don’t mean to yell)
1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla
Blend sugar and cocoa. Melt butter, then add butter, milk and vanilla to the sugar/cocoa blend. Beat for a few minutes until well blended.

And Now-The Construction:
Make sure the cake is on whatever surface you choose to serve it on-I always use my trusty Tupperware cupcake/cake taker. It’s priceless.

Using a serrated knife, cut the cake in half horizontally. So, your cake will have a top layer and a bottom layer. I’ve seen Alton Brown cut a cake with dental floss before-but I just use a big knife.

Set the top layer of the cake aside (I just set it on a piece of wax paper). This part can be tricky because you don’t want to break the cake.

Spread the whipped filling on the top of the bottom layer.



Then put the top layer on top of the whipped filling. Isn’t it beautiful? It looks kinda like a SuzyQ!



You should have plenty of fudgy icing. I ice the sides first and then the top.

This cake is so rich and so delicious. I don’t know why, but it tastes better when it’s cold. I keep it in the refrigerator.