Monday, July 13, 2009

Heaven On Earth For All Rueben Lovers!

There are two things that are always dirty in my kitchen; my Kitchen Aid food processor and my favorite cup. The former is required to make this recipe. I guess you don’t really NEED it-but I makes this so much easier and (I think) so much better.


Jason and I love Rueben sandwiches. We are also very picky about them. If the corned beef is cut too thick, it’s hard to take a good bite, it also messes up the sauerkraut to corned beef ratio. Also, the bread has to be toasted well and have a great little “crunch” when you bite into the sandwich. Of course, there needs to be an over abundance of Thousand Island Dressing on the side-so as not to stress or ration it while enjoying your sandwich. I’m not even going to go into the 1 potato chip per bite of sandwich per bite of pickle spear….

Anyway, this is a FANTASTIC recipe for all the Rueben lovers like me. Word to you Sonya.
It is very easy and it makes great left-over’s. I am not a left-over person, so that is saying somethin’.

RUEBEN CASSEROLE

1 cup or more of sour cream
½ onion
1 can of sauerkraut, drained (NOT Bavarian sauerkraut with the seeds in it)
1 pound sliced corned beef from your local deli
16 ounces Swiss cheese – sliced is fine from the deli or even pre packaged
12-14 pieces of rye bread; crusts cut off
1 stick of butter


(The above picture is of the ingredients chopped in the food processor)


Spread sour cream in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan.
Mince the onion in your food processor and then spread over the sour cream.
Spread drained sauerkraut over the onion layer.
Chop corned beef in your food processor-it should be very fine-spread over the onion layer.
Chop Swiss cheese in your food processor-spread over corned beef layer.
Put your rye bread in torn pieces into your food processor and process away…it will make bread crumbs.
Melt butter and mix with rye bread crumbs.
Spread buttered bread crumbs over cheese layer.


The above picture does not do it justice-it is a simmering pan of Rueben perfection.


Bake casserole for about 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
I serve this with mashed potatoes. It is sooooo delicious.

A picture of my favorite cup; always dirty.